Sunday 1 July 2012

Drip Drop "Art"

For the last 3 or 4 months I have kept a huge Ikea frame hidden behind our dining room table. I kept meaning to buy a piece of art so that I could hang it above the TV, but procrastination prevailed. I never found anything meaningful or affordable enough and then I kinda forgot we even had the frame. Out of sight out of mind.

Then I saw this post over at the 700 experience and thought maybe I could put my own spin on it. I had seen something similar a while ago here, and it was doing major rounds on Pinterest, but to be honest it looked like hard work and that it would create a right mess.

Suddenly, I had a brief genius moment!


I decided I would be super lazy creative and try it with watercolour.

I started in a rather organised manner. I sketched out perimeters and marked even spaced circles where I would start my "drippings", before filling in the blanks when they were dry (as I didn't want the colours to bleed and read as muddy).


I carried on this way for quite sometime and before I knew it I was two hours in and it still looked like this:


At this point my boyfriend raised his eyebrows and said "I don't get art", which loosely translates to "That looks like ----".

Still, I soldiered on, becoming more temerarious with the brush as time went on, until finally it began to look like this:


Several hours, two water bowl changes and fight with the aforementioned Ikea frame later, I was finally done. (FYI, the frame won - I ended up ever so slightly breaking it.)


I hung it landscape, cuz I'm capricious like that.

Although it took much longer to complete than expected, I'm happy enough with the result to leave it be until I find something better to replace it.


22 comments:

  1. Just found your blog, great idea for a painting!
    Looking forward to following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool! love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaah you're being featured on Apt Therapy! Congrats :) And keep up the good work, I'm loving your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So did you place the color only in the circles and then place a wet brush over them? Or did you paint some lines and then reapply with wet brush? Also, what was your canvas selection criteria?

    I'm a novice to watercolors. This looks great and I'd like to try my hand at it but I'm a bit fuzzy on details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! The circles were a space guideline (at first until it became tedious). I used a semi-wet brush to start the “line”, then I loaded the brush with paint and water (enough water to drip) and added it to the same wet spot, where it followed the line I made previously. Once it trickles down you can add as much paint as you want if you want the colour more saturated.

    I used watercolour paper rather than canvas as I’m more familiar with it, and also because I always have bits of it tucked away…

    Do let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful idea! Really love it! Will most likely try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so amazing! Thanks for sharing. My Friday art project starts now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great project! I love the pillow on your rocker - where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I made the pillow. The fabric is Olana Bayleaf by Waverley-

      https://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=eeb4c352-9e43-49a2-acde-b194e5d6c0a5

      Delete
  10. It looks awesome! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! For the YEAR I have a huge Ikea frame hidden in my bedroom (me too!!). I tried to put an image in the frame, but I did not find anything beautiful, original and affordable. Then I thought I could make myself a drawing, but no inspiration is coming. And today I've discovered YOU & your Drip Drop Art. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! And hanging it landscape is cool as well, though do guests find themselves with their necks crooked for a little while...?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for so many good ideas!

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, can you tell me what colour your wall is painte. Absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its called Condor (leyland brand)

      http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/leylandtrade_viewcolours.asp

      Also, here's more about that wall -
      http://designgratislondon.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/marvellously-moody.html

      Delete
  15. Love the wall hanging. Also love the colour of the wall. Can you tell me what colour you used. I,m toying with the idea of going dark but like you have been too lazy and not yet brave enough. Think your photo might just push me over though which would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was VERY nervous about it, but then I thought worst case scenario if I hate it, I just have to repaint it. Really glad I took the chance as i love it. See the link above. Its Leyland brand, but there was a very similar Farrow & Ball colour as well. Go for it, and if you do please let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  16. Simple method, but the results are surprising.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers