Wednesday 22 August 2012

Trending in Design: #Literary Furniture

How I relish that moment every month, when I walk into my building and I see my fresh new issue of Elle Decoration waiting for me, wrapped in shiny plastic. Having subscribed for almost 3 years now, to say that I have a large catalogue of back issues would be an understatement. I even have a drawer full of old issues at work that I sometimes flip through on my lunch break. (Obsessed? Why yes, just a little.)

Have I brainstormed about ways to store them creatively? Yes. The best I came up with was a magazine rack. Riveting, I know.

Have I ever thought about using them as furniture? Heck no.

via Design*Sponge

I'm in two minds about this development. On one hand, I would like to give the person who started this a solid smack on the back of the legs. But at the same time, isn't this what being creative is all about - form, function and thinking outside the box?

via Design*Sponge

Yet, somehow I can't erase the images in my mind of attempting to retrieve a magazine from the middle of the pile and chaos ensuing.

Oh yeah, books too -

via Apartment Therapy

via Real Simple

 Note the fiddle leaf fig in the background.

via The Design Files

Interesting in a bookstore of course, but how can you be sure you will never need any of those books again?

via Improvised Life

Belted? Ouch.

There is one way I could get on board with this, and now that Ive thought of it, I just may try it.


Yup. I'm a pioneer.

What do you think of this trend? Yay or Nay?


3 comments:

  1. I'd rather have them in the transparent 'stackable sidetable'. I love looking through my old magazines, no matter how old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that footstool! having magazines accessible as well as a piece of furniture is an ace idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers